<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\07511216437\46blogName\75Aggro+Me\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLUE\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://aggrome.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en_US\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://aggrome.blogspot.com/\46vt\0752813804064508799754', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Gaming for Dollars


"Work is for people who can't play video games." - Jillian Wiebe in 'The King of Kong' quoting Billy Mitchell.

So how about it? Can we make a living playing video games? I know a bunch of different companies are working on shoehorning a gambling aspect into gaming. I was going to use Kwari (I've never tried it) as an example of an FPS for cash game but they are apparently not doing too well.

I decided to try out a casual contender:
WorldWinner.

Please note I have absolutely no relationship with this company and I'm not getting compensated in any way for blogging about them. Well, I'm not even really recommending them so I guess that's obvious.

I signed up and deposited $20. Then it was time to survey the list of games. Now, we're not talking Bioshock or even Shiren the Wanderer here. No, these are decidedly casual games. A modified version of Diner Dash is probably the most flashy.

Before I actually wagered my hard earned ducats I tested out a number of the games. The problem is that, while you can test any game for free, I couldn't figure out how to compare my score with the scores of people playing for real money. So it wasn't until I actually played a real money game that I figured out if I was good (or not...usually not).

I gave up on Bejeweled and the solitaire variants right off the bat. Too many people play those games 24/7 for me to be competitive. I thought I had a shot at Catch-21 because I'd played that type of game quite a bit before. While I was in the ballpark in real money games, I was winning only about 1 in 4. I think I could have improved but it honestly started to feel like work.

I know playing games all day sounds fun but a lot of these start to feel like work after a bit. The whole mentality is different.

I got excited when I saw SkillGammon because I was a tournament level BG player once upon a time (though my cubing was always atrocious). But it turns out that SkillGammon is Backgammon with all the probablility sucked out. And for me that means with all the fun sucked out.

I finally settled on (drumroll please)...Family Feud! I know that sounds crazy but for some reason I'm apparently a good Family Feud player. I think it's the type of game where tons of repetition is not really important but your ability to think quickly is. This version is not the whole game but a quick, modified game.

Well, the point is, when I'm playing 1-on-1 in Feud I actually win 2 out of 3 games (I checked my stats). So should I quit my job? Not exactly.

You see, WorldWinner takes their cut. And it cuts deep. Example using the 2 player game:
Balance: $2.50
Game 1: You enter for $2.50 and win $4.00.
Balance: $4.00
Game 2: You enter for $2.50 and win $4.00
Balance: $5.50
Game 3: You enter for $2.50 and lose.
Balance: $3.00.

So for playing 3 games and winning 2 of them...you're up a whopping 50 cents.

And winning 2 out of 3 is pretty good. There are times you're just going to get unlucky with words you don't know, have a bad game or run up against a super good player. And you can't just beat up on noobs forever, the website does something called FairMatch to put you up against people of equal skill level.

Of course, there are larger tournaments with larger prizes, but I find you run up against truly amazing players.

I've been hanging in there (I'm around $27 now) but I can't seem to make much headway. You do rack up rewards points as well as money which you can use to purchase game credits or other stuff. To be honest, I probably wasted money playing games I'm not good at and entering tourneys I had no hope of winning. But I just think for the number of 2 player games I've won I should be doing a little better.

I would really like to see WorldWinner be a lot more reasonable with their "take" of the action. You do get something of a rush playing for real cash and it's kind of fun to mess around with. But, overall, I think it's a losing proposition.

15 Comments:

Blogger Petertos said...

Just to say that I've made my own casual game, it's called Smilies Invasion and for me it's frenetic!

http://www.dolmenent.com/smiliesinvasion/

Regards

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

網頁設計,情趣用品店,情趣用品專賣網

A片,色情A片,免費A片,成人影片,色情影片,a片免費看,情色貼圖,情色文學,情色小說,色情小說
AV,AV女優

辣妹視訊,美女視訊,視訊交友網,視訊聊天室,視訊交友,視訊美女,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友90739,免費視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,視訊聊天,視訊交友aooyy
哈啦聊天室,辣妺視訊,A片,色情A片,視訊,080視訊聊天室,視訊美女34c,視訊情人高雄網,視訊交友高雄網,0204貼圖區,sex520免費影片,情色貼圖,視訊ukiss

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

酒店喝酒,禮服店,酒店小姐,制服店,便服店,鋼琴酒吧,酒店兼職,酒店兼差,酒店打工,伴唱小姐,暑假打工,酒店上班,酒店兼職,ktv酒店,酒店,酒店公關,酒店兼差,酒店上班,酒店打工,禮服酒店,禮服店,酒店小姐,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,台北酒店,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,禮服店 ,酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店小姐,酒店傳播,酒店經紀人,酒店,酒店,酒店,酒店 ,禮服店 , 酒店小姐,酒店經紀,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,招待所,酒店小姐,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店上班,暑假打工,酒店公關,酒店兼職,禮服店 , 酒店小姐 ,酒店經紀 ,酒店兼差,寒暑假打工,酒店,酒店,酒店經紀,

8:19 PM  
Blogger ㊣美樂蒂melody咩咩㊣ said...

海綿寶寶小遊戲,視訊美女,海綿寶寶,微整型美容,笑話大全,酒店經紀,微整型,星座運勢,曼雪兒免費小說,十二星座,視訊聊天室,星座配對,愛情配對,酒店經紀,愛情運勢,視訊聊天,情色文學,瘦小腹,瘦腿,瘦身餐,酒店經紀,笑話,網頁設計,網站設計,酒店兼職,ktv酒店,酒店兼職,兼差打工,酒店上班,酒店經紀,酒店小姐,ktv酒店,兼差打工,酒店上班,酒店經紀,酒店小姐,ktv酒店,酒店兼職,兼差打工,酒店上班,酒店小姐,酒店公關,ktv酒店,酒店兼職,兼差打工,酒店上班,酒店小姐,ktv酒店,酒店兼職,兼差打工,酒店上班,酒店小姐,酒店公關,異性緣,髮型,髮型圖片,WatchShow.TV-情色視訊聊天室,髮型圖片,情色文學,曼雪兒免費小說,小說頻道

8:11 AM  
Blogger eda said...

101煙火,煙火批發,煙火工廠,製造浪漫煙火小舖,煙火小舖,衣蝶,衣蝶,情趣用品,情趣商品,情趣,情趣,衣蝶情趣精品百貨,衣蝶情趣精品百貨,煙火批發,情趣禮品,成人用品,情趣內衣,情趣精品,情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,真愛密碼情趣用品,真愛密碼,真愛密碼,真愛密碼情趣用品,貓裝,自慰器,性感內褲,角色扮演,丁字褲,,跳蛋,AV,丁字褲,煙火,情趣用品,情趣用品

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are ed hardy shirts
,pretty ed hardy shirt for men,

ed hardy womens in the ed hardy online store

designed by ed hardy ,
many cheap ed hardy shirt ,glasses,caps,trouers ed hardy shirts on sale ,

You can go to edhardyshirts.com to have a look ,you may find one of ed hardy clothing fit for you
Top qualitymen's jacket,
These cheap jacket are on sale now,you can find
north face jackets inmage on our web
Ralph Lauren Polo Shirtsbuberry polo shirts

Authentic chaussure puma
chaussure sport
And chaussure nike shoes
Come here to have a look of our Wholesale Jeans
Many fashionMens Jeans ,eye-catching
Womens Jeans ,and special out standing
Blue Jeans ,you can spend less money on our
Discount Jeans but gain really fine jeans, absolutely a great bargain.
http://www.weddingdressseason.com

http://CLOTHES-WHOLESALE.US

10:56 PM  
Blogger 酒店上班請找艾葳 said...

艾葳酒店經紀提供專業的酒店經紀,酒店上班,酒店打工、兼職、酒店相關知識等酒店相關產業服務,想加入這行業的水水們請找專業又有保障的艾葳酒店經紀公司!
艾葳酒店經紀是合法的公司、我們是不會跟水水簽任何的合約 ( 請放心 ),我們是不會強押水水辛苦工作的薪水,我們絕對不會對任何人公開水水的資料、工作環境高雅時尚,無業績壓力,無脫秀無喝酒壓力,高層次會員制客源,工作輕鬆。
一般的酒店經紀只會在水水們第一次上班和領薪水時出現而已,對水水們的上班安全一點保障都沒有!艾葳酒店經紀公司的水水們上班時全程媽咪作陪,不需擔心!只提供最優質的酒店上班環境、上班條件給水水們。

2:35 AM  
Blogger digby said...

Worldwinner is ok, but there is a better Skill Gaming community where winning 2 out of three will keep you up above just 50 cents.. and you can win more than just cash too. Cash Game

9:43 PM  
Anonymous freeware pc games said...

That initial sentence is just amazing, and so true!

12:02 PM  
Blogger daiyanren said...

There are cheap shoes to choose
jordan 6
jordan 7
Good quality with low price.
air jordan 2010
Air Jordan 2009
You can have a look at it.
jordan shoes
jordan ajf shoes
We offer different styles.
jordan 1
jordan 2
If you like,you can contact us.
jordan 3
jordan 4
Thanks.
jordan 5
jumpman23

3:46 AM  
Anonymous wholesale mbt shoes said...

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

-------- http://www.pointingtrade.com/ -------

Thank you for your support.
cheap mbt chapa gtx
Our company specializes in manufacturing from located in CHINA and Netherlands,With more than 6 Years of experience,we are mainly dealing

with are:Nike shox,Christan Audigier t-shirt,Ed Hardy,COACH Bag,New Era cap ,Tiffany_Ring. More products.
nfl jerseys
Supply . COACH Bag,Nike shox.Ed Hardy t-shirt.
Safe Payment.PaypalMbt m walk sky
Fast Shipment.5-7 days you can receive your order product.
No min order request.You can order only one product
Free Shipping.The price on our website are including
everything.
http://www.pointingtrade.com/
Wholesale ShoesCA Bikini

Wholesale Handbags

Wholesale Jewelry

china wholesale

wholesale products suppliers

wholesale MBT Shoes

wholesale china

china wholesalers
te

2:05 PM  
Blogger 威力 said...

制服酒店
酒店薪水
傳播小姐
台北酒店經紀
台北禮服酒店
酒店兼差

4:05 PM  
Anonymous jewelry wholesale said...

Buy fashion jewelry wholesale from China? We strongly recommend you to check fashion jewelry wholesale online shop, where you can buy crystal jewelry wholesale, cubic zirconia jewelry wholesale, cz jewelry wholesale, pearl jewelry wholesale, All of this jewelry are in top quality.
As well as they supply stainless steel jewelry wholesale, fashion jewelry wholesale, silver jewelry wholesale, costume jewelry wholesale, jewelry wholesale from china. Welcome to inquiry. fashion jewelry
fashion jewelry wholesale
wholesale fashion jewelry
china jewelry wholesale
china fashion jewelry
jewelry wholesale china
fashion jewelry china

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheap dre beats
dre headphones
beats studio by dr dre
beats pro by dr dre
beats solo by dr dre
beats solo HD by dr dre
beats tour by dr dre
diddy headphones
Monster beats
studio beats by dr dre
dre beats headphones
beats dr dre headphones

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugg Boots Online Shop
Discount Uggs Boot
Buy Cheap Uggs Boots
Outlet Ugg Boot
ugg boots sale
UGG And Jimmy Choo Boots
UGG Argyle Knit Boots
UGG Mini Boots
UGG Short Boots
UGG Tall Stripe Cable Knit Boots
UGG Tall Boots
UGG Ultra Short Boots
ugg shoes
buy ugg
Women Ugg Boots

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home