<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\07511216437\46blogName\75Aggro+Me\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLUE\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://aggrome.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en_US\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://aggrome.blogspot.com/\46vt\0752813804064508799754', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Forums Anger Crom








So, I was reading this story on Kotaku about how the DirectX 10 version of Age of Conan will not be available until the end of August. I had questions: Will an upgrade be free? What do players think about this? Where in the world is Carmen Santiago?

I decided to check the official forums. I've visited them before but I don't have them in my favorites. So I started on the main site. After the age verification thingy, I surveyed the page and figured "Community" was the best choice. Clicking that for some reason launched a new browser window and brought me here. I looked all down the left hand side and did not see any mention of forums. Eventually I looked under "Links" on the right hand side of the page. Finally...

But no, I was denied. You have to enter your retail box key. So if I don't buy the game, I can't browse the forums? That seems like a really bizarre decision to me. Browsing the forums is often what lures me into trying a new game. Hopefully this is temporary.

4 Comments:

Anonymous roeddog said...

Isn't that one of the most absurd things you've come across in MMO's? It was for me! I too use the forum(s) as a guage on deciding whether to get the game now or let it mature; I suspect many others do too.
My first thought was "what are they hiding? Posts saying that it is not THE greatest games ever?" Then I thought with all the hype for what, the past year; the collector's ed. sold out before launch! I figured they were sparing their game owners the annoyance of people like me crashing their servers out of curiosity. I would hope that they open them as things settle down

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Genda said...

Funcom has said it's temporary, until the "dust settles" on the launch.

Honestly, I can't believe anyone would base a decision on the contents of a forum at launch, unless you were a professional at figuring out exactly what the signal/noise ratio is on that site.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crom laughs at you from his mountain.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Matthew Pass said...

My memory is not what it once was, but I seem to recall that Star Wars Galaxies had the same policy around launch time, too (it was lifted a while later)? Seems odd to me that this practice is still being used today...

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home